Friday, December 8, 2006

Mentation

These days I have been considering to do a lot of things...

Most current is the Heroes Conference [14th-17th Dec] in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It's a costly undertaking unless I get sponsorships, and so far I haven't had much luck. They've already sent an invitation letter from Malaysia addressed to a Mr. Nabeel 'Kahlib' - my last name is actually Khalid. I will also need to get a visa for Malaysia and I don't know how long that would take. And I'm pressed for time since I am already a delegate for NLDS 2006 in Singapore [9th-14th Dec].

Another consideration is completing a Minor in Information Systems/Technology. It goes well with my major - Communications and New Media Technologies, and I have already completed a module that does not contribute to my major; rather contributes to this minor. Five more modules in this same stream, and I will have completed an easy minor in the next five semesters. The main issue with this is that I don't like programming, and one of the essential modules teaches me programming in Java - I know Java is not easy. But then, it's an additional skill that could benefit my career by enhancing my CV and giving me an edge. I have to decide by 12th Dec.

Yet another substantial consideration is working in a mediocre job which doesn't pay much. I haven't gotten any of the comparatively high-end jobs I applied for [mostly because I'm not Singaporean and don't speak Mandarin], and something is definitely better than nothing. I've already decided to stay in Singapore during the December vacation, and some extra money to contribute towards my expenses would cause no harm. By mediocre jobs I mean the kinds that pay 4 dollars an hour, at places like Burger King. Not my dream job - but then again I don't have much choice. I hope they have some market research to do at Frost and Sullivan - now that's a decent job and pays well enough too.

Heck, I haven't been this indecisive since - ever!

No comments: