Saturday, April 19, 2008

All About The Money

You're always happy when you are out spending money, aren't you? But is that really happiness? Is that really fun?

Think about it. You go out with friends, watch a movie, grab a bite to eat, stumble upon a bar on the way back where you have a few drinks, and maybe grab an ice-cream somewhere along the way. As you go to bed that night, you have a smile on your face that says, "I have friends. I hang out with them and it's fun. I am so lucky."

And that is the story of just one day when you went out to have a little fun. There are at least 30 days in each month (yeah, yeah, I know that about Feb).

All is well until you reach the end of the month (or the beginning, depending on your cycle), when you start receiving your bills and (oh no!) bank statements. Only then you realize how much fun it had really been.

Unfortunately, we soon realize that money doesn't grow on trees. And if it did, others wouldn't have been as lazy as you and would've gotten to them first, leaving nothing for you. Yes; yes. I am not writing anything new here. This is not a new phenomenon I have discovered. It's an age-old adage.

It forces me to think, why, after being such smart and intelligent people (at least most of us), why do we keep doing the same things? Vicious circles. Why are we so afraid to say no?

Are we afraid that we might be disliked by our peers? Or looked down upon?

I don't know about you all out there but I could certainly learn a lesson or two in the art of saying 'no' and sticking with that decision.

And while we're on this, why can't people understand that 'no' doesn't mean, "Keep asking me again and again until I say 'yes'"? That's like offering someone a cigarette over and over again when they just announced they've quit smoking.

*Madonna sings in the background: "'Cause we are living in a material world..."*

I just wish I would not get suckered into this capitalist mumbo-jumbo about money making us all happy just by spending it. It does not give us all we need in life. I don't buy it.

But I see no outs.





Sometimes I find another world inside my mind
When I realize the crazy things we do
It makes me feel ashamed to be alive
It makes me wanna run away and hide

It's all about the money
It's all about the dum dum du du du dum
I don't think it's funny
To see us fade away
It's all about the money
It's all about the dum dum du du du dum
And I think we got it all wrong anyway

We find strange ways
Of showing them how much we really care
When in fact we just don't seem to care at all
This pretty world is getting out of hand
So tell me how we fail to understand

It's all about the money
All about the dum dum du du du dum
I don't think it's funny
To see us fade away
It's all about the money
It's all about the dum dum du du du dum
And I think we got it all wrong anyway, anyway

'Cause it's all about the money

It's all about the money
All about the dum dum du du du dum
I don't think it's funny
To see us fade away
It's all about the money
All about the dum dum du du du dum
And I think we got it all wrong anyway

It's all about the money
It's all about the dum dum du du du dum
I don't think it's funny
To see us fade away
It's all about the money
It's all about the dum dum du du du dum
And I think we got it all wrong anyway, anyway

1 comment:

Cath said...

haha money. nice~ ;)

the thought of having can't beat the act of spending.

that's why i shop! "P