Saturday, December 29, 2007

Benazir Bhutto's Death

The major fiber optic lines are cut, gas stations are being burnt (that is why they're all closed), ATM machines are being broken down and we're told to remain inside our homes because the situation outside may be dangerous. I don't know for sure, but my friend who just came over tells me he hardly saw more than three cars on his way here. Usually it would take him more than 40 minutes to get here because of the insane amount of cars on the road. But he says nothing is really happening out there. It's just that something might happen.

I'll admit, I was one of those who said, "And she survived!?" after Benazir's motorcade was attacked upon her arrival in October. But now when I look at the complete anarchy in our country I realize that this tragedy will just further ruin the great nation's image. The whole world only gets to see these things in an exaggerated form and they don't know the peace and tranquility it offers - that I have experienced all my life.

Benazir's death is as sudden as it is sad. She was one of those well-educated politicians our country has hardly seen. The Bhutto family could be considered to be the reason why democracy was seen as possible in Pakistan in the first place because of their style of politics. Both her brothers were killed, her father was killed and now herself. Two shots in the head and one in the neck - while wearing a bullet proof jacket, sitting in a bullet proof car.

I am now anxiously waiting for the next Newsweek issue and I bet it would have something to say about Pakistan on the cover page.

I think to myself, isn't Pakistan like one of those contacts on Facebook that always show up on your homepage or at the top of your "Recently Updated" pages?

So what, that makes Pakistan an attention seeker?

No comments: